Volunteering with the C&O Canal Bike Loaner Program is a rewarding and enjoyable way to support a popular program that serves thousands of Park visitors every year. Volunteers must be:
- friendly, patient and confident in interacting with the public
- able to multi-task in occasional high-demand situations
- able to work cooperatively with other volunteers and Park staff
- able to perform a variety of physical tasks, including moving bicycles between their storage area and the public area, and setting up/packing up our program at the start/end of the day
- able to work a minimum of 4 hours at a time in a variety of seasonal weather
Volunteers who are skilled in bicycle repair (or who want to learn bicycle repair) are also needed.
Students in grades 9-12 may earn Student Service Learning (SSL) hours by volunteering at the Bike Loaner Table. Students must bring the form required by their school/district and complete all appropriate sections of the form in pen before receiving the Program Coordinator’s signature.
For more information about Volunteering with the C&O Canal Bike Loaner Program, contact
Ric Jackson, Program Coordinator